You might succeed if no one else believes you can, but you will never succeed if you don’t believe you can. One of the most important things anyone can do to succeed in life is to believe that they can. Another important thing is that you must believe you deserve to succeed. Without these two elements it is unlikely that a person will enjoy much success in life.
The story is told of a man visiting an Asian country when he passed a tattoo shop. In the display window there were a number of sample tattoos a person might get. The one that intrigued the visitor said “Born to Lose.” He entered the shop and asked the owner why anyone would want that tattooed on their body. The owner tapped his head and responded “Before tattoo on body, tattoo in mind.”
I’ve known several people who believed that about themselves. They believed they were born to lose, that they never had a chance to succeed in life, and that everything was stacked against them. I’ve often wondered who put such thoughts in a person’s mind. Was it parents who told them as children that they would never amount to much? Was it the people they associated with? Maybe it came from the music they listened to or the movies they watched. Regardless of the source, as long as they allow that belief to keep playing in their minds they will struggle to ever enjoy success.
What can one do if they struggle with such self-doubts? There are several things you can do.
- Avoid the negative people in your life and spend more time with positive people who believe in you. The more time I spend with successful people the more success I enjoy in my own life. Their self-confidence can’t help but rub off on you.
- Speak positive thoughts to yourself. Zig Ziglar used to challenge his audiences to look at themselves in a mirror and speak positive things about themselves. He often said the most important conversation you can have is the one you have with yourself. Hey…if you’re going to talk to yourself anyway, you might as well make it positive.
- Listen to positive podcasts while you’re driving. When I had a job that kept me on the road a lot I downloaded a number of podcasts to listen to while driving. All of them were positive that promoted healthy views on a number of topics.
- Read books that promote healthy ways to approach success in family life, business, finances, health and spiritual well-being. I am constantly reading positive books on these topics to keep feeding my mind with the right kinds of thoughts.
- Talk to successful people. When John Maxwell was just starting out he contacted a number of successful people and offered to pay them for one hour of their time to talk to him about their success and answer some questions. Several agreed to meet with him, and many of them refused to accept his money. You might be surprised at how agreeable successful people are to share what they’ve learned over the years.
The key is to feed yourself with as much positive input as you can any way you can. The better you feel about yourself, the more success you are apt to enjoy in life. That success can lead to better marriages, better relationships with friends and family, improved finances, better health, a deeper spirituality, and a better all-around life. The choice is yours because success is an inside job.